The SNAP Challenge provides a unique connection point to hunger. It allows you to experience first-hand what life is like for millions of low-income Americans living on food stamps - which on average is $4.15 per day. We suggest taking the challenge for at least week to get a true sense of the struggles our hungry neighbors live with on a regular basis.
You've accepted the challenge, now what?
- Choose the duration of your SNAP Challenge. The Feeding Tampa Bay team is taking the challenge September 21-25!
- Your food budget for the week or day of your Challenge will be based on the average SNAP benefit, which is $4.50 per person per day– for ALL your food and beverages. You can use coupons while taking the Challenge but should not shop at membership clubs.
- Using your Challenge budget, decide on groceries to purchase and how much to put aside for food incidentals. Be aware of ALL food purchased and eaten during the Challenge week/day.
- During the Challenge, do not eat food that you purchased prior to starting the challenge.
- Avoid accepting free food from friends, family, or while at work.
- Keep track of receipts on food spending and take note of your experiences throughout the week, in particular the choices you made between the variety and quality of food you ate.
- Invite others to join you, including your co-workers, family members, and elected officials. You can do this by clicking on the "Become a Fundraiser" button above. If they can't join you, ask them to sponsor you! All money will be used to help hungry families in need.
- Share your SNAP Challenge through social media and by blogging about your experience. If you become a fundraiser, you will even get to set your own fundraising goal and watch your support role in!